Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Once Upon A Time, 11 Years Ago This Very Day....

Aidan, 5th Grade
This guy is amazing.  I am so proud and blessed and humbled to be his mommy.

He loves sports.  He loves his brothers.  He loves church.

He hates giving me kisses, which is understandable. I settle for an occasional hug, but I am not happy about it.  He hates math, though he is very good at it.  English is more his thing. He hates squash, but he will try most any food and keep an open mind about it.  

I couldn't love him more.  

He's very smart.  He loves to learn.  I hope his craving, interest, desire to know things doesn't stop.  I hope he realizes that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, as he continues to grow.

A letter for my boy.


Dear Aidan,

I love you.  I'm sorry when you don't feel like I do, like when I yell about your dirty clothes all over your room.  But never doubt that I love you.  The reason I correct you, share Scripture with you, bug you about hugging me, ask you about your day, etc. is because I love you.

Never allow a girl to have power over you.  Women can be manipulative, using their feminine ways to get what they want.  Don't fall for it.  If a girl acts stupid around you, walk away.  Either she is stupid, so you should avoid her anyway, or she is faking stupid to get your attention.  Which is stupid, so see my previous point.  I know it seems like you are too young for this advice, but the advice about girls needs to be given before you are "ready" so you can be prepared.  And don't be ready until you are 30.

Always be kind, especially to those who mistreat you.  But don't be a victim.  This is a difficult balance.  There will always be "bullies" and no amount of education or school policies or government interference will change that.  So you need to know what to do if you are mistreated.  Remember our go-to policy when you are mistreated through words:  1.  Ask, "Is it true?"  2.  If the answer is yes, thank the person for informing you.  3.  If the answer is no, you can ignore it because it's a lie.  Remember what to do if you are mistreated physically.  #1.  Try to turn the other cheek.  Sometimes, this will cause your attacker to feel surprised and guilty about hurting someone who is kind to them.  But, I know this is not always the case.  So, #2.  Punch back.  You may get kicked out of school, but you won't get in trouble at home.  

Laugh at yourself.  If you take yourself too seriously, you will be disappointed.  You will trip in front of others, you will say something (unintentionally) silly, you will not know something others think you should know.  Laugh along with others who are laughing.  

I am looking forward to our dinner.  One of my favorite things is taking you out to eat every year for your birthday, just the two of us.  I can't wait to talk to you, listen to you, and be amazed by you.  

I love you,
Mom






No comments:

Post a Comment