Monday, August 22, 2011

Perspective

As you get older, there are moments in your life that hit you right in the face and remind you of reality such as my perspective of my age.  Being young is very relative.  For instance, some couples I know have been married for 60 years, which means I have lived barely over 50% of their married lives. That means I am young.  Yet a few of my middle school students were born in the year 2000.  That makes me feel old.  (Also, several of them have never heard of Chuck Norris or "Walker, Texas Ranger" which not only makes me feel old but also really surprises me.  Not one of the students in my English class had heard of Chris Farley, either.  Crazy, right?)

Perspective is very important.  My wild man, Jesus, was always changing people's perspectives by demonstrating and teaching a kingdom-mindedness. "You have heard it . . .but I tell you" could be heard as he taught. The last shall be first and the first last. You have to die to yourself to live.  True freedom is found in serving.  Treasures here, meaningless; but treasures in heaven make you wealthy.  Happy are those who mourn.  Seriously, God Incarnate shook things up!

Today, I found out a second grade student at the school where I teach has been diagnosed with a very rare disease I have never heard of.  It's even rarer when it occurs in children.  There is no treatment, no cure, but it is terminal.  Unless God heals her, this 7 year old girl will not see her 8th birthday.  Guess what?  All of a sudden, the 400 dollar bill at the mechanic doesn't matter.  My messy house?  Who cares.  The stack of papers I need to grade?  It'll get done, eventually.  

Perspective.

LORD, help me to be kingdom-minded.  I want to see, love, care, and serve people with your eyes.  Forgive me of my complaining about temporal things. Holy Spirit, convict me when I allow the culture to affect my worldview.  Give me an eternal perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment