Monday, July 29, 2013

I HATE Video Games

Ok, so I said it.  I hate video games.  If I could take all the video gaming systems of the world and eliminate them from the face of the planet, I wouldn't even hesitate.  What could possibly be negative implications of removing them?  That's right.  Nothing.

"Oh, crap.  Now that I can't play video games,  I guess I will go outside and get some exercise."
"Let's play with Lego's, since the PlayStation is broken," a child sighed heavily.
The husband thought, "Well, since Xbox is broken, I guess I will spend quality time with my wife and kids."
"Maybe I can talk to some people I know in person and spend time with my actual friends than the virtual friends I pretend to shoot on the (whatever game)."

My foster son told me a secret, one he was not supposed to share.  Before he was placed with me, he said he played rated "M" games.  That's right.  The parents are allowing him to play such games, and their parenting strategy was to just keep it a secret.  They know better.  This is not a result of ignorance, or they would not have felt the need to keep it from other people. So even those who love video games would support  the notion that a small, young child playing rated "M" games is inappropriate.

If you look at children who bully others in school, and even most of the kids who are bullied, their list of favorite activities would NOT include:  a variety of sports, hiking, biking, hunting, (anything that would be in nature), etc.

But, overwhelmingly, my unscientific guess based on my years as a teacher, bullies AND EVEN THEIR VICTIMS would probably have a common interest....you guessed it, video games.

No comments:

Post a Comment